NEW: PASS/FAIL FAQ SITE (link)
We would like to make you aware of a Pass/Fail grading option that the College is putting into place for this (Spring 2020) semester. This is the result of the COVID-19 pandemic and is only available for the Spring 2020 semester. This will be available for all programs except those in the health science division.
For this spring semester, students will be able to elect to change their letter grade to a pass or fail (P/F) instead of the traditional A-D grading scheme.
The actual earned grades will be submitted as always by the course instructors and will be available for student viewing in Self-Service banner by May 22, 2020. Students will have one week to elect the P/F option for individual classes (details to follow on how they will notify the college). The deadline to make this choice is Friday, May 29, 2020 by 11:59 p.m. Any changes will be handled by the Registrar’s office and do not require any additional actions by faculty. To reiterate, for faculty, the grading process and submission deadline remains unchanged.
The P/F grade will be considered as successful completion of a course and will satisfy prerequisite requirements.
Students have been informed to speak to their advisors and consult financial aid if they are considering the P/F option. They have also been instructed to consider the following:
- How will a Pass/Fail grade impact your plans to transfer to another college, now or in the future?
- Will a Pass/Fail grade be acceptable for entry into another academic program, either at SUNY Broome or at another college?
- If this course is a prerequisite, will you be adequately prepared for future courses?
- Is the course you are considering for Pass/Fail a core course in your major, or is it an elective?
- Will a Pass/Fail grade help or hurt your GPA? (check with an advisor)
- How will this impact your financial aid?
The withdrawal date will remain as May 1, 2020 and incompletes will be issued as they normally would.
There were a few questions on P/F at CAI that I would like to address:
- It was requested that we make numerous efforts to inform students. In addition to emails, posting on the website, and posting on Blackboard, we will be texting students to tell them to go to the website for updates regarding grading options. Here, they will be able to see the revised withdrawal dates and the P/F FAQs along with other information.
- There was also a question regarding prerequisite courses. While the P will satisfy the prerequisite course, it is possible that a student may struggle in the next course. This will require a conversation between the student and an advisor. It is possible to find out what the actual letter grade in the course was prior to the P/F option. Marty Guzzi, Registrar, will be able to assist in those instances.
If there are questions as we move along in the process, and you are not sure how to respond, please don’t hesitate to reach out to your dean or to me. I am happy to provide you with a response or find the person who can best respond. This is all new to us and we’ll learn as we go, but I know that everyone is trying their best, and that is all we ask.
Thank you for your patience with all of this, and especially thank you for your efforts in supporting our students as they navigate these new situations.
Penny A. Haynes, Ed.D.