We would like to make you aware of a Pass/Fail grading option that the College is putting into place for this (Spring 2020) semester. This is the result of the COVID-19 pandemic and is only available for the Spring 2020 semester.
For this spring semester, you may elect to change your letter grade to a pass or fail (P/F) instead of the traditional A-D grading scheme. This option is not available if you are a student in any of the health sciences programs.
Your actual earned grades will be available for viewing in Self-Service banner by May 22, 2020. You will have one week to elect the P/F option for individual classes (details to follow on how you will notify the college). The deadline to make this choice is Friday, May 29, 2020 by 11:59 p.m.
Before making this choice, here are some important things you should consider:
- How will a Pass/Fail grade impact your plans to transfer to another college, now or in the future?
- Will a Pass/Fail grade be acceptable for entry into another program, either at SUNY Broome or at another college?
- If this is a prerequisite course, will you be prepared for the subsequent course?
- Is the course you are considering for Pass/Fail a core course in your major, or is it an elective?
- Will a Pass/Fail grade help or hurt your GPA? (check with an advisor)
- How will this impact your financial aid?
We strongly encourage you to speak to your advisor and consult financial aid prior to making this choice.
A Pass/Fail FAQ Site has been created to answer your questions. We will also send updates on the procedures to elect the P/F option.
Keep up the good work you are doing to complete this semester!
Penny A. Haynes
Vice President for Academic Affairs