It’s that time of year again! The 6th annual Holiday Hamper:
Date: Saturday, December 9
Time: 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Location: Calvary Baptist Church, 466 Chenango St, Binghamton, NY 13901.
This is an event offering anyone in our community an opportunity to obtain new and used clothing, household items, winter hats, gloves, boots, and scarfs; in addition to Christmas stockings for the children, pictures with Santa, crafts for children, haircuts and nail painting. Doing our part in making a difference and helping our community!
We are going to need as many volunteers as we can – once the word is out, the response on the day of the event is staggering! If you would like to help in any way, or have a talent that you like to offer (face painting, you play a musical instrument and would like to come play holiday music, singing, etc.) we would love you to be part of this event!
Share the information if you know friends or family who would like to help in any way!
Or maybe you would like to help out in other ways. Here are some examples of the tasks ahead:
- Photography: We have a Santa and we can always use someone who would be willing to donate their time and take pictures of the children (or families) with Santa.
We would also like photos of the full event.
- Donation Boxes: We will be placing donation boxes at businesses who want to participate, so if you know of a business who is willing to display a Holiday Hamper donation box please let us know. Picking up donations from the donation boxes when they are full and either storing them until the day of the event or letting Heather know you have stuff and either she or someone else will collect it and store it. (We often need a few more places to actually store the collected items. Do you have an empty room, garage, or barn and would like to help store collected items, please let us know.)
- Donation Outreach: Calling and asking for donations of coffee, cocoa, pizza, cookies or making cookies to serve from the kitchen.
- Donation Prep: Sorting donations (diapers, baby items, toys, clothing, household items, blankets, personal hygiene items, etc)
Stuffing Christmas stockings (we are hoping for 500 this year. We ran out last year at 300 )
Setting up and/or Decorating the day before the event.
- Day Of Support: Working on the day of the event by staffing the kids crafts corner, helping those in need find items they are looking for (shoes, socks, personal hygiene items, etc…) helping Santa’s area, working a specific area like our baby items area or personal hygiene area or our raffle area)
- Social Media: Someone to help with setting up a website or our Facebook page and monitoring it for us.
** you may help in whatever way you feel comfortable to do!**
We will be scheduling an initial meeting for anyone who is interested in participating soon to go over the event, and what needs to be done.
Submitted by: Heather Sutliff