Tempted to share your Banner username and password? Don’t do it!
Sharing usernames and passwords is never a smart practice, but it’s especially unwise with your college account (MyCollege, Banner). The College assigns unique usernames and passwords to ensure accountability and security, and they’re a key piece of our internal control structure. Your username and password authenticate your identity – in other words, proving that you’re you.
- You’re responsible for any activity conducted under your username. If someone else is logged in under your account, you’re still responsible for whatever happens.
- By keeping your log-in information private, you’re making sure that your personal information stays private, too. Your personal information is located on the employee tab. This includes pay, income executions/garnishments, direct deposit bank information, etc. If you share your sign-in information, that person now has access to your personal information, including confidential items.
- By keeping your username and password private, you’re also making us secure in other ways. To prevent theft, the College uses separation of job duties – for example, approvers and purchasing contacts in the Banner system. This system helps prevent unauthorized use of funds or resources, and will help us detect when either is used in inappropriate ways. If you share your log-in, you circumvent one of the systems we use to prevent theft.
- It’s not just the direct theft of funds we’re guarding against. We also have approvers for Web Time Entry in the Banner Payroll module who approve and authorize part-time hourly employee hours. If you’re part of that system and you share your log-in information, you violate the College’s internal controls against falsification of time worked and subsequent payment for falsified hours.
- Not only shouldn’t you share your username and password, make sure you log off when you’re not at your desk. If you leave your desk unattended with the computer logged on, others can see your personal information and inappropriately access all the Banner data that you have permission to access.
To sum up: Your username and password for MyCollege/Banner Self Service was assigned to you and you only. Under no circumstances should you give out this information or allow anyone else to use your account. Thank you for doing your part to keep our system secure!