Public Safety again received a report concerning mice in the Applied Technologies Building and promptly investigated the situation. After the presence of mice was confirmed, the college took immediate action, outlined below.
Please note that experts recommend a wait of 5 to 7 days after initial treatment before beginning a thorough cleanup to ensure the mice are gone.
Experts recommend the following response plan by the college:
- Take interim action to disinfect surfaces that have evidence of exposure with a bleach spray or commercial disinfectant.
- Once it has been determined the infestation is completely removed, cleanup can begin which includes:
- Wear rubber, latex, or vinyl gloves when cleaning up urine, droppings or nesting materials.
- Spray any urine, droppings, and nesting materials with either a bleach and water solution (1 parts bleach to 9 parts water) or a household disinfectant prepared according to the label instructions for dilution and disinfection time. Soak well. Use a paper towel or rag to pick up the materials and dispose of them.
- Mop floors after spraying them using bleach/water solution or a disinfectant.
- Remove potentially contaminated materials and discard them. If they cannot be discarded, items that cannot be disinfected with a liquid formula – such as books, magazines and documents — can be left outside in the heat for a day or stored in a disinfected indoor area for at least a week. Plastic, glass, or metal containers can be disinfected by spraying with the bleach and water solution or disinfectant.
- Clean countertops, cabinets, and drawers with disinfectant or bleach and water solution.
- When cleanup is complete, decontaminate gloves with disinfectant or bleach and water solution. Wash hands well with soap and warm water.
Actions Taken to Date
- The nesting area was cleaned and disinfected.
- A professional exterminator was called in to eliminate and control the situation.
- All floors in Room 021 have been mopped and disinfected.
- All surfaces, drawers and shelves in 021 will be cleaned and disinfected.
- Custodial staff will spray disinfectant all surface in areas (computer labs, offices and classrooms) where there is evidence of mice (visual report of mice, droppings or nesting).
- Disinfectant wipes will be provided to all offices that feel they may have evidence of exposure.
Maintenance is still assessing the situation and will issue further updates as needed.
Please note that mice usually will not crawl over keyboards, into drawers or other surfaces unless in route to a source of food. Do not keep food items in or on your desk.