During the spring 2019 semester, there were several discussions on campus about whether to remove the course student learning outcomes from the college catalog. The suggested change would make the Nuventive system a repository for the learning outcomes. Changes to student learning outcomes would not be vetted through the curriculum development and revision processes that are currently in place on our campus.
There are numerous implications to removing student learning outcomes from the college catalog including impacts and/or potential impacts to:
· The established curriculum development process
· The input and voice of faculty throughout curriculum development and revision
· Transparency for students when locating and registering for courses
· Accuracy of course syllabuses with regard to information about student learning outcomes
· Reviewing student learning outcomes and for measurability and alignment with SUNY Broome Institutional Learning Outcomes, Middle States standards, and as applicable, SUNY General Education Learning Outcomes
After discussing this matter with the academic deans, and reflecting on the impact of changing our process, it is my decision that the course student learning outcomes will remain part of the current curriculum development and revision processes via Curriculum Committee, and if applicable, the General Education Committee, and will remain listed and updated in the college catalog at this time. These processes will be further examined in the fall after the new Vice President of Academic Affairs starts her position.
Please direct any questions about this matter to your dean or supervisor.